Now that it's officially summer, many of you may be planning chic beachside getaways for the season. I recently took a trip to San Juan, Puerto Rico and now that I’m back stateside I’m still yearning for that carefree Caribbean style that always puts me at ease. One thing I noticed about the Caribbean is that aside from being a haven of relaxation, people there really work to live instead of living to work. There’s a clear difference, and I think just taking a few cues from this philosophy can help reduce stress and help you live a happier life. Here are some fun & easy ways to bring carefree Caribbean style home, long after the vacay:
1. Wear your favorite beachside maxi dress on a non-beach day.
2. Unwind with Malibu Island Spiced cocktails.
Malibu Island Spiced rum. It has such a unique flavor infused with coconut, vanilla, and a hint of cinnamon. And get this, it’s sweetened with Truvia® so there are only 70 calories per serving. Flavorful and guilt-free? I was sold.
Malibu’s website has a really great list of special cocktails you can mix using Malibu Island Spiced. For my island-themed night at home, I mixed two of their signature cocktails - the Spiced on Ice, the Sparkling Spiced and a variation of the Chaise Lounge using Orange Juice instead of Pineapple. Here’s what I did:
Spiced on Ice is literally just 1 serving of Malibu Island Spiced over ice, garnished with lemon:
Chaise Lounge is 1 and 1/2 parts Malibu Island Spiced and 3 parts pineapple juice, which I substituted for OJ instead:
3. Try a traditional Caribbean recipe.
4. Bump your favorite reggae tracks.
I grew up on Sanchez and Beres Hammond. Something about smooth reggae tunes puts me in another place. This is a surefire way to bring the sun & sand of the Caribbean to your living room. Put on some of your favorite reggae tunes and get into the groove.
5. Paint your nails turquoise.
5. Paint your nails turquoise.
How do you exude care-free Caribbean style when you're back stateside?
Sound off below for your chance to win a $100 Visa Gift Card!
No duplicate comments.You may receive (2) total entries by selecting from the following entry methods:
- Leave a comment in response to the sweepstakes prompt on this post.
- Tweet (public message) about this promotion; including exactly the following unique term in your tweet message: “#SweepstakesEntry”; and leave the URL to that tweet in a comment on this post
- Blog about this promotion, including a disclosure that you are receiving a sweepstakes entry in exchange for writing the blog post, and leave the URL to that post in a comment on this post
- For those with no Twitter or blog, read the official rules to learn about an alternate form of entry.
The Official Rules are available here. This sweepstakes runs from 6/13/13 – 6/30/13. Visit Malibu Island Spiced Rum on Facebook to get more drink recipes and join the brighter side of spiced rum!
And be sure to visit the Malibu Island Spiced brand page on BlogHer.com to read other bloggers’ posts.
SIP EASY. ENJOY MALIBU RESPONSIBLY.
MALIBU ® Caribbean Rum with Coconut Liqueur & Natural Spices, with Truvia® Sweetener. 30% Alc./Vol. (60 Proof) ©2013 Imported by Pernod Ricard USA, Purchase, NY
Truvia® and the Truvia® logo are registered trademarks of the Truvia Company LLC.
PER 1.5 FL. OZ. SERVING. AVERAGE ANALYSIS: CALORIES 70; CARBOHYDRATES less than 1 gram; PROTEIN 0 grams; FAT 0 grams.
*when mixed with your favorite zero calorie mixer. Limes and other garnishes may add calories