Quantcast

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

How To Create A Vision Board: Part II

I'm back with another one! In Part I of How To Create A Vision Board, I walked through 5 easy steps to putting your visions and goals down on paper. If you haven't checked it out, that's a good place to start (click HERE). In Part II, I'm going to demonstrate from personal experience, how powerful vision boards can be. Below is a representation of what my vision board for 2011 looks like, and in this post I'm going to lay out how I accomplished each and every goal on my board.


Aside from adding in the pretty frame digitally (I didn't have it in a frame this year, but it's actually a pretty chic idea for decoration), this is exactly what I looked at, day after day throughout the 2011 year. I put my visions up in my bedroom on the left side of my bed so I literally saw it when I woke up in the morning and before I went to bed at night. Like I mentioned in Part I, what worked for me was separating my visions into different categories. My three main sections were focused around Career, Health & Beauty. Here's a breakdown of my board:


In this section, I included images of women I look up to, who demonstrate the level of success I want to achieve and images that embody or represent goals I wanted to achieve in my career. Starting from the top left and going clockwise, here's how I accomplished these goals in 2011:

1) Goal: Entrepreneurship
My fave girls Ginger & Liz, who own the nail lacquer line of the same name, represented entrepreneurship for me. Hence the "I'm A Hustler Baby" phrase underneath.

Accomplished: This year, I finally applied and got myself a real business license. On top of that, I placed runner-up in a local business plan competition, which gave me the confidence I needed to know that when I do officially start my business, I'll have support.


2) Goal: Meet DVF 
Diane Von Furstenberg represented excellence for me. As a woman of distinction, she really inspires other women to be who they truly want to be. I've also always wanted to go to her show at NY Fashion Week, literally since I was 14 years old.

Accomplished: This year, I met Diane von Furstenberg three times! I was blessed to win a FREE wrap dress at her Fashion's Night Out party (see here). I was privileged to attend her Spring 2012 show at NY Fashion Week (see more here). And I was also selected to participate in her NYC Wrap Rally to launch her Diane fragrance, which garnered major press (see pic below, I'm on the right!)



3) Goal: Become a Contributor
Since I started my career in journalism, I dreamed of becoming a contributor for some of my fave magazines. I added the word "contributors" to my vision board, and also put up a picture of Essence Magazine's Editor-in-Chief at that time, Angela Burt-Murray.

Accomplished: This year was huge for me in regards to contributions. This is the first year I was featured in major national publications! I had an advertorial in Essence Magazine's October Issue:


On top of that, I was quoted as a blogger/expert in Ebony Magazine's Beauty Awards, LoveBrownSugar was declared one of Essence's Top 40 Fashion Blogs, I landed my first article on The Huffington Post and I secured contributor status in a plethora of other publications, which I'm truly proud of.

4) Goal: Travel
This year I wanted to get into worldwide travel. I placed images on my board that represented that, like the main character in Eat, Pray, Love and pictures of the Caribbean. I also put words like "Passport" on there.

Accomplished: This year I visited Ecuador for 10 days (see HERE), and just 3 weeks ago I spent a luxurious weekend on St Thomas and St John. Two unexpected places, but two amazing experiences I'll never forget. And both trips were sponsored, so I was able to do them without suffering financial strain.



1) Goal: Develop a healthy lifestyle
Another major part of my goals for 2011 was improving my health. This year, I focused less on losing weight on more on developing healthy habits like working out regularly, eating less fast food & processed food, and drinking more water.




Accomplished: This year I participated in a 6-week program called NY Lean (see here). On that program I lost 12 lbs in a 6-week period and I felt absolutely amazing. It showed me that these health goals weren't as hard as they seem. I also eat much more organic food, and I barely eat fast food. Of course, there's more work to be done, but I did manage to accomplish a few goals and for that I'm proud.


1) Goal: Stay natural & grow!
As most of you know, I've battled on & off with going natural for over 5 years (see here for my hair journey). I was natural all through college, then I broke down and relaxed my hair when I went into the corporate world. Shortly after that, I regretted it and went natural again. So this year, after doing the big chop in November of 2010, my goal was to maintain my natural tresses, learn more about them and keep my hair growing beautifully.

Accomplished: I grew my hair from teeny weeny afro to almost collar-bone length over the year. I couldn't wait to out my hair in a high bun!


I also successfully waited an entire year until I got my hair straightened or applied any heat to it, which I'm proud of (see my video at Hair Rules Salon here).

All in all, I've had an amazing year and I'm looking forward to a successful 2012. Stay tuned for Part III (update: see it here) where I highlight how others have successfully created vision boards. Have any of you created a vision board? If so, I want to chat with you!


Email luvbrownsugar@gmail.com with either a) a picture of your vision board or b) a story highlighting how it helped you in 2011.
Pin It!

22 comments:

  1. this has totally inspired me! having a few friends over for the new year, think it's the perfect time to do this. Congrats on the accomplishments this year, there's bound to be so much more amazing things in the '12 year;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go girl!!!! Glad you accomplished your goals keep it up! All the best for the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. CONGRATS on all your accomplishments. To see you grow is amazing. I adore, I am a hustler baby too cute. I have been wanting to enter business plan competitions but when looking online they all look jinky ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Christina,

    Congrats on all your accomplishments this year! I wish you many more for 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am going to have a solo vision board party Dec 31st! Your year has been AWESOME I can't wait to see what 2012 has in store for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your accomplishments! In 2012 I'm planning to use Pinterest as my online vision board so I can access it wherever I go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. you have had an amazing year; what a blessing! and i am so inspired to continue with my board. its in the works. i like how you seperated yours into sections. seems helpful. great job!! i wish you EVEN MORE success in 2012 as well :-)

    ~nic

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is actually a documentary about this and the power of our minds. I can't remember the name of the documentary but in it the people talk about making these boards to help reach goals. When we put our minds, spirits and energy into the universe in a positive way and BELIEVE we will achieve these goals we actually do. Thank you for posting this. It makes it a lot more real seeing a "real" person using this technique and achieving her goals. Congratulations!

    http://finding-the-beautiful-me.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Omg yeeesssssss. I NEEDED to read this. Love this post. I will SURELY make a vision board for 2012!

    Great job girl! Congrats on all of your accomplishments!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this post! This is one of my goals for 2012....to create a vision board thank you again for the inspiration! You are AMAZING

    ReplyDelete
  11. Christina, I love this. I think I'll be skimming my mags and start working on one also. You've inspired me! And super kudos on all your accomplished goals this year boo!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post! I started one but did a vision book instead! I'm definitely going to add traveling to it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love how you outlined every detail of your year! Great post. I am excited to make my 2012 vision board. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Show love & support by following & leaving comments on my blog! xoxo

    vivaladainty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad you posted this! I am having a vision board party for me and 6 of my friends in January.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow you had a great year! Congrats and hopefully 2012 will be even better!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great post! Your goals for 2011 are so similar to mine for this upcoming year! Congratulations on all of your accomplishments!!!! You are a beautiful and talented young woman.

    andreafenise.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am new to your blog as I came across it while googling the amazing DVF (just LOVEEE her). Your blog is just wonderful & so inspiring. I have written numerous liftstyle improvement resolutions for this year and seeing your success is further more encouragement and so inspiring. I hope this year brings you even more success!
    Love, Victoria. x

    being chic.
    www.fromvictoriawithlove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow thats amazing, thanks for sharing, and congrats on your success! I have a vision board, but honestly, mine could use some improvement!

    -Kris

    http://thekrisbliss.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is amazing and really inspiring!! Congratulations on all your accomplishments!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awesome post! Thanks for the inspiration!!Really needed a post about Vision Board.

    ReplyDelete