Quantcast

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Get Noticed This Holiday Season: 3 Dress Types That Flatter Curves


The biggest concern I have when holiday season approaches surprisingly isn’t what I’m going to get everyone on my list. It’s what I’m going to wear! Trying to find the quintessential holiday look can be quite stressful especially when you have a particular body type and you’re looking for stylish options.

My biggest piece of advice during this critical time of party-hopping and social soirees is to stick to silhouettes you’re comfortable with. The last thing you want to be worried about, standing next to your CEO at the office holiday party, is whether your tummy needs sucking in or if you should’ve put on that extra pair of control-top tights. The best thing to do is stick with your tried & true.

Here are a few of my go-to silhouettes that have worked for my top-heavy, pear-shaped frame in the past:

1. A-Line Dresses

This might be one of my favorite dress silhouettes. An A-line shaped dress is super flattering for so many different body types, primarily if you have hips that you want to slim down or balance out. 

The A-line dress flares out right below the waist and is very forgiving whether it's your hips, thighs or backside you want to downplay. It also makes your waist appear even smaller (always a plus!)

2. Peplum Dresses 
Peplum dresses are another favorite. Not only do the lapels on the side and around the waist add a little extra "ooomph" to your overall look, but peplum dresses also famously disguise unflattering belly bulges, and the infamous "muffin top", by drawing attention to the slimmest part of your body.

This silhouette is perfect for pear-shaped and hourglass-shaped women. My body is a combination of both, so I'm obviously a huge fan of the trend. This isn't limited to just dresses either. You can totally rock a glam peplum top or jacket over a skinny pant or skirt as well, and it will have the same effect.

3. Shift Dresses

 Next on my list of figure-flattering silhouettes is the shift dress. It's a basic, and every fashionista should have at least one of these staples in her closet, in a classic color like black or white. The best thing about the shift dress is its simplicity. It has a pretty straightforward cut and gives a mod appeal while still being flattering. Vertical lines elongate the body, which is a plus.

The trick to finding the perfect shift dress is picking the right material and the right neckline. If you're top-heavy, you might want to stay away from high-neck or rounded necklines and spring for a shift dress with more of a v-neck shape up top. Also, don't be afraid to play with texture! The shift dress should be classic but not boring. This dress is great for office holiday parties and more corporate settings where conservative may be necessary, but you'd still like to show off your figure.

So now you guys know my secrets! If you're ever wondering why I wear the same styles of dresses over and over, this is why! I work what I have and stick with designs and cuts that make me feel beautiful.


What about you? What's your go-to dress silhouette?
This post is part of BlogHer's Get Noticed For the Holidays editorial series, made possible by Cover Girl.
Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. I love sweater dresses. They work best on my frame.

    xoxo,
    beyondblackbeauty.com

    ReplyDelete