Quantcast

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

2013 BET Awards: The Big Day

Ford Motor Company sent me to the #FordHotSpot to cover the activities in their social media lounge at the 2013 BET Awards. All opinions expressed herein are solely my own and not those of the company.

9:00AM - Preparing For The Awards

So early in the morning, it dawned on me that the ASOS dresses I told you guys about in my prep day post alas were not going to make it to me in time for the BET Awards. They were to be sent overnight and sadly didn't make it to LA in time. Thankfully, I ALWAYS have a plan B, C and D and I had a few different options with me to choose from for the red carpet.

I opted for this Bar III dress (on sale for $40.99) from Macy's which was a beautiful shade of yellow, complimented my skin well and also was a great fit for my body type.

Hair: Pin Curls

So, for the sweet & sexy look I opted for a head full of bouncy curls. I tamed my natural curls with a John Frieda by Conair flat iron and a RED by Kiss curling wand. I then proceeded to use the curling wand on my extensions as well.

My super simple product arsenal! I never put heat on my hair without first using a heat-protecting oil. I really love the Ouidad Salon Series Mongogo Oil spray. It's really light, smells amazing and protects my hair from intense heat. I also used hair pins to hold the curls in place and let them set. And I used a cheapie firm holding spray from Suave that I snagged at the pharmacy last-minute.

I just used the flat iron to straighten out my natural curls on top and so they would blend seamlessly with my extensions. Then, I used the curl wand all around my head for perfect rounded wave/ringlets.

All curled and pinned up! Next up was DIY stiletto nails.

Nails: DIY Stiletto Nails

So I found this super simple YouTube tutorial on DIY stiletto nails. Instead of spending a ton of money at the salon, I opted for the DIY route with KISS press-on nails in 'Active Oval".

All I did was apply the nails, and then shape them into the pointed stiletto shape I desired. I then opted for simple black polish (Maybelline Color Show in Onyx) with a white cross design.

1:00PM - Arrival at the Red Carpet

Voila! The final product: Dress courtesy Bar III. Shoes by Zara. Vintage clutch. Necklace by H&M. Ring courtesy Glitterrings.

3:00PM Ford Gives Back

As part of Ford's initiatives to give back, they gave one lucky viewer the opportunity to win a VIP Experience at the 2013 BET Awards as part of Ford’s “Rolling With Ford AND The BET Awards Contest.” Byron (on the right), the winner of the contest, took part in a VIP Experience during this year’s awards show and also appeared live during the “106 & Park” BET Awards Pre-Show in which Shawn Thompson (head of Multicultural Marketing at Ford) gifted him with a brand new Ford car! So amazing.

Congrats to Byron! Nothing like a taking home a brand new car to make you warm & fuzzy inside.

4:00PM - Red Carpet Arrivals

We ran into quite a few celebs on the red carpet. Everyone looked fab (some more chic than others) and everyone seemed to be in a pleasant mood in anticipation of the the show starting.

Over at the Ford Hotspot, Toccara interviewed celebs like Jamie Foxx, Angela Bassett, Gabrielle Douglas and more.

Check out a few of my Instagram pics from the weekend:

I had an absolutely fab time out in LA for the BET Awards. Special thanks to Ford for hosting me for the weekend, and for always inspiring me to "Go Further". This time last year I was in awe that the very awards show that I started my blog around back in 2009 was hosting me nearly 3 years later. I'm still in awe at how much I've accomplished, and companies like Ford make it possible for little ole bloggers like me to see our dreams come true. So I have to thank them for that.

And thank YOU guys for following my journey. None of this would ever be possible without your support! Love ya!
Pin It!

1 comment: